Demet Basar is a partner at Wolf Haldenstein. Ms. Basar’s practice is primarily concentrated in complex securities and derivative litigations on behalf of institutional and individual clients, and consumer protection class actions. She is a member of the Firm’s Investor Protection and Consumer Protection practice groups.
- Represents investors, including public and labor pension funds, in complex securities fraud class actions and derivative litigations in federal and state courts.
- As co-chair of the firm’s Madoff Recovery Litigation Task Force, successfully represented hundreds of investors in various Madoff feeder funds in class actions which recovered over $300 million for wronged investors.
- Secured “best practices” corporate governance reforms in securities class action alleging proxy violations by a major global bank.
- Served as lead or co-lead counsel in cases involving mergers and acquisitions, including In re American Pharmaceutical Partners, Inc. Shareholder Litigation, which resulted in a $14.3 million settlement.
- Served as lead or co-counsel in consumer protection cases.
- Represented counties in various states in class actions to recover unpaid recording fees from mortgage servicers and others.
- Prosecuted securities class actions against issuers and sellers of CDOs, swaptions and other synthetic securities.
- Part of lead derivative counsel team in the Mutual Fund Market Timing Litigation with combined class and derivative settlements totaling over $300 million.
- Successfully represented investors in individual actions against investment managers.
- Represented plaintiffs in private business litigations in state court.
- Provided advice, counsel and training materials to “lo-bono” community law firm representing mid to low income families and individuals.
Ms. Basar is involved in fundraising efforts in her community, including for the Black Law Students Association of CUNY Law School and Urban Upbound, which provides resources to public housing residents to foster economic mobility and self-reliance.
Ms. Basar is a member of the New York City Bar Association.
She is also fluent in Turkish.