Anita B. Kartalopoulos is Of Counsel to the Firm and litigates claims in the areas of securities fraud, derivative litigation, and mergers and acquisitions. She focuses her practice on litigation relating to breach of fiduciary duty and transactional litigation as well as the lead plaintiff process in securities litigation class actions. She works closely with institutional investor clients, including trustees of public and private funds, and foundations throughout the U.S. providing counsel on asset recovery, fiduciary education, and risk management.
Prior to 1998, Ms. Kartalopoulos was a New Jersey state regulator and served in senior regulatory positions, including Deputy Commissioner of Insurance, for Life and Health; Director of Legal and Regulatory Affairs (Department of Health); and Executive Director of the New Jersey State Real Estate Commission. She managed the New Jersey Insurance Department’s Multi-State Task Force investigating the sales practices of the Prudential Insurance Company, which resulted in a $50 million fine against Prudential and a $4 billion recovery for policyholders. She also served on the Board of Directors of MBL Insurance Company as a rehabilitator and managed litigation on behalf of the company.
- Served as counsel in Sears, Roebuck & Co. Securities Litigation ($215 million settlement) and In re Chiron Corp. Securities Litigation ($30 million settlement).
- Achieved noteworthy results including improved corporate governance and disclosures as well as increased share value in recent litigations such as in In re Topps Co. Shareholder Litigation, In re Anheuser-Busch Cos. Shareholders Litigation and Southeast Airlines
- The New Jersey Statewide Building Laborers Pension, Annuity and Welfare Fund
- Communications Workers of America Local 1180
- Minnesota and N. Dakota Bricklayers and Allied Craftworkers
- The New Orleans Sewerage and Water Authority
- The New Orleans Harbor Police
- The Hotel Trades Council of New York
Ms. Kartalopoulos serves on the Board of the Business and Labor Coalition of New York (BALCONY) and has been honored for her work on behalf of labor.