Investigation – Belmont Dressers Sold At Kmart and Sears
Wolf Haldenstein is investigating claims on behalf of consumers who purchased Belmont four-drawer dressers that have been recalled due to safety concerns. The recalled dressers are allegedly unstable and can tip over if not anchored to the wall, posing serious tip-over and entrapment hazards that can result in death or injury to children.
The US Consumer Product Safety Commission (“CPSC”) announced the recall of the dressers on October 3, 2019, and warned that consumers should immediately stop using any recalled dresser that is not properly anchored to a wall and place them in an area that children cannot access. The dressers were sold at a retail price of $40 at Kmart and Sears stores from April 2013 to September 2019.
The dressers were manufactured by Ridgewood Industries, Inc., and marketed by Dorel Home Furnishings Inc., also known as Ameriwood Home. Consumers can contact Ridgewood to receive a free anchoring kit, including a wall anchor strap. They can request a one-time, free in-home installation of the wall anchor strap.
The dressers came in four colors and two sizes. Consumers can access a list of the specific models numbers included in the recall directly from the CPSC (available here). If you have purchased or used these dressers and have any questions or concerns regarding your legal rights, please contact Wolf Haldenstein by telephone at 212-545-4761, via email at email@example.com, or by filing out the below form.
Growing Trend of Tip-Over Recalls
In the past five months, four other furniture makers have had to issue recall notices with the CPSC because of serious tip-over and entrapment hazards for children. Wolf Haldenstein has substantial experience representing plaintiffs who have been damaged by products that have been defectively designed and/or manufactured. Our Firm has a proven track record in litigating product liability cases, protecting consumers and holding manufacturers accountable for their actions. Wolf Haldenstein has obtained significant recoveries for consumers through product defect settlements. If you have purchased or used any of the dressers describe below, we invite you to contact us.
In addition to the Belmont dressers manufactured by Ridgewood, recalls have been issued for the following units:
- INK+IVY Renu three-drawer dressers
- Manufactured by E & E Co. and sold online on bedbathandbeyond.com, jcpenney.com, kohls.com, macys.com, olliix.com, overstock.com and wayfair.com from January 2017 through September 2019 for about $350.
- Home Meridian Mid-Century three-drawer chests
- Manufactured by Home Meridian International and sold at Nebraska Furniture Mart stores in Nebraska, Kansas, and Texas; and online at Wayfair.com, Amazon.com, BedBathandBeyond.com, and other online retailers from March 2017 through June 2019 for about $250.
- Kirkland Black Wash Mirrored Chests and Six-Drawer Camille Chests
- Manufactured by Kirkland and sold at Kirkland’s Stores nationwide and online at kirklands.comfrom January 2016 through May 2019 for about $200.
- Libra Style Three-Drawer chests
- Manufactured by South Shore Furniture and sold online at Walmart.com, Amazon.com, Target.com and other online retailers from October 2009 through July 2018 for about $60.