Mr. Newman is a partner at Wolf Haldenstein where he practices complex class action litigation in the areas of IP, copyright, technology privacy rights, securities litigation, and unfair and deceptive practices. He is a member of the Business Practice, Consumer Protection, Investor Protection and Social Justice Litigation groups. He also provides counsel on financial and real estate matters. Mr. Newman cases often involve novel or cutting-edge legal issues and have resulted in the establishment of new law.
Mr. Newman joined Wolf Haldenstein in 2016. Mr. Newman has practiced law for twenty years and has worked at one of the nation’s largest law firms and was licensed as a Certified Public Accountant.
- Trailblazing entertainment, copyright, privacy and technology litigator.
- Initiated and served as co-lead counsel in the first class action over a disputed copyright related to the world’s most famous song, Happy Birthday. Good Morning to You Productions Corp. v. Warner/Chappell Music, Inc. By way of this groundbreaking litigation and its successful outcome Mr. Newman and Wolf Haldenstein achieved worldwide acclaim.
- Co-lead counsel on another noteworthy historic copyright class action that challenges the copyright to We Shall Overcome, a song that the Library of Congress has called the most powerful song in the United States history. We Shall Overcome Foundation v. The Richmond Organization, Inc.
- Litigated one of the first cases to explore the ownership of social media accounts between an employer and an employee. That case received national media attention, resulted in two published decisions and was the subject of Law review commentary.
- Litigated and served as co-lead counsel in complex class action litigation against Apple and as lead counsel in complex class action litigation against Toyota Motor Credit Corp. and StubHub.
- Serving as co-lead counsel in the first set of class actions on behalf of homeowners who have been defrauded by energy efficiency contractors.
- Represents entertainment industry artists, producers and directors in merchandising, right of publicity, royalty and copyright disputes.
Consumers, homeowners, investors, social media users, entertainment industry artists, producers and directors.
Mr. Newman was recognized as a Trailblazer in Copyright and IP by the National Law Journal, 2016.